Well April was a busy month, though, sadly, I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped. I had wanted to get all the shots for scene one completed, but that hasn’t happened yet. Mostly a combination of me underestimating how long some things would take to build and a nice big flare mid-month slowing down the works even more. But I’ve started the animation and have one shot under my belt so far, so forward momentum is happening. Yay progress!
Last month I had the basic components built and in place for the scene 1 set. In April I focused on getting the detail work done. Putting the small props in on the desk:
Laying in a floor pattern.
Finishing the scarf and coat that go on the coat hangers.
Both of which are wired along the back so I can animate them at the end of the scene when my character runs out the door.
Adding a wall clock,…
… a pair of boots,…
… a potted plant,…
…and a floor runner to make it look more lived in.
The small written details of the notes posted all over the desk.
And I decided to swap out the green screen through the arched doorway, with some flat optical-illusion type pieces to save me some time in post-production work, as well as introducing some of the flat background elements I plan to use in the store windows in later scenes.
The digital images.
I also built my moving camera rig which I’m pretty proud of. It’s essentially a wheeled box that holds a cut down tripod that moves back and forth on a threaded screw rod. It works on the same principle that you see when you hold a bolt steady and spin a nut on it with your finger and the nut moves up or down the bolt based on which direction you spin it in. In this case, the camera is attached to the nut on a much larger bolt.
Here’s a shot of it in action.
This past week I’ve started animating this scene so I’ll have some shots for you in my next blog post. Ideally, I’ll also have a large portion, if not all, of my next set built. See you then!